Despite the fact that termination of pregnancy (or abortion) causes very contradictory feelings, this concept is firmly rooted in our daily life and it is worthwhile to find out on what terms it can be done and by what methods.
The main ways to interrupt pregnancy
Depending on the term, the following procedures are carried out:
- Mini-abortion or vacuum is carried out before the seventh week of pregnancy. During the procedure, a fertilized egg is simply sucked from the uterus by a special apparatus. And although this method is considered not too traumatic, there is still a risk that it will be more difficult for a woman to become pregnant in the future.
- Surgical intervention can be conducted up to 16 weeks. In some cases, the pregnancy can be interrupted and up to 22 weeks, but for this there must be serious threats to the life of the mother. The complexity of the operation is that its consequences can be disastrous for the reproductive functions of the mother in the future and her health in principle. Since the fetus is removed from the uterus with special instruments almost blindly, there is a big risk of injury to the uterus and other genital organs.
- Medical abortion is not widely spread in all countries, but it is considered very effective for termination of pregnancy in the early stages. It is based on the admission of a special hormone drug that causes a natural miscarriage. Since this method is considered the most "soft" for a woman's health and her ability to continue to give birth to a child, it should be told in more detail.
How does the procedure work?
During the procedure, it is necessary to have a doctor's control and it is better if the first stage is performed in the polyclinic.
- First you will have to make an ultrasound to confirm the fact of pregnancy, its duration and the place of fixation of a fertilized egg.
- The intake of the first tablet with a substance that reduces the effect of progesterone (the hormone that is responsible for maintaining the pregnancy). Most often appoint Mifepriston or Mifegin. After the patient has not seen any side effects, she is sent home.
- After a while, you will have to take another drug (Misoprostol or Mirolut), which will lead to the rejection of the embryo.
- At least a day later, it will be necessary to conduct a control ultrasound, which will confirm the fact of rejection of the fetal egg from the uterus.
Despite the fact that this method of termination of pregnancy in the early term is considered painless, it is worthwhile to refrain from women who suffer from bronchial asthma, serious cardiovascular diseases or diseases of the liver and kidneys.
It is possible to conduct the procedure only in the clinic and with the permission of the doctor, so as not to cause serious hormonal disorders. In any case, whichever method of termination of pregnancy does not have to be experienced by a woman, feedback about this event is always filled with pain and suffering. And given that no one, even the most professional doctor, can guarantee the absence of problems with subsequent pregnancy, the situation is aggravated even more. Therefore, if you do not plan to have a baby, it is better to pay attention to modern methods of contraception, rather than exposing yourself to the risk of getting physiological and moral trauma in the future.