Many people know the situation when a lump on the leg near the thumb appears. It causes discomfort and requires immediate treatment. After all, the cone on the leg near the thumb is not just a cosmetic defect, it can indicate serious damage to the joints and bones of the foot. First of all, the doctor will have to figure out why the cone appeared near the thumb on his leg, and then prescribe the treatment. After all, only eliminating the cause, you can completely get rid of the disease.
The causes of cones on the leg near the thumbThe cause of the cones on the foot near the thumb can be a pathological process. For example, this is often the beginning of the development of arthritis. But there are other, less dangerous reasons. Often, the cone on the leg near the thumb is the most common corn. It does not require treatment and, as a rule, disappears on its own. It's enough just to give up uncomfortable shoes to fix things. As the cone looks near the thumb on the leg, you can see in the photo.
There are many cases when the cause of the cone on the foot near the thumb was the valgus deformity of the foot. Especially often this pathology occurs in women, and only 2% of men are affected by the disease. According to physicians, valgus deformation of the foot is a consequence of inconvenience when wearing shoes.
There are the following negative factors that lead to the appearance of a bone on the leg near the thumb:
On a note! In the female part of the population, valgus deformity of the foot often occurs due to a failure of hormones, which occurs with menopause, menstruation, pregnancy.
- Heredity - often a lump on the leg near the thumb is observed in all the female representatives in the genus.
- Wearing uncomfortable shoes that have a high heel and a narrow toe-in this case, the maximum load is transferred to the area of the thumb, resulting in inflammation in the joint.
- Excess weight - a large mass of the body provides a greater load on the bones and joints.
- Flat feet - this is a transverse type of pathology, due to which the load is distributed incorrectly, which leads to the appearance of a cone near the big toe.
- Injuries - a bone can appear after bruises of joints or fractures of bones in the region of the big toe.
- pathology of the endocrine system;
- osteoparosis (with a lack of calcium in the body, the bones become brittle and easily deformed).
SymptomsSymptoms of this defect are hard enough to confuse with the signs of another disease, as the cone on the leg near the thumb is easy to determine visually. At first, a person feels uncomfortable when wearing shoes, with which before such problems did not arise. Then, after a long walk or strong physical exertion, there are pains in the foot. It is followed by painful sensations, localized in the area of the thumb. The pain accompanies the patient almost constantly, the same intensity in the daytime and at night. As the defect develops, the deformation of the foot becomes more pronounced. Noticeably the deviation towards the big toe. If you do not take any measures to eliminate the defect, the cone becomes larger. There are difficulties with the selection of shoes, there is discomfort.
Additional signs of bumps on the big toe:
- change gait;
- pain and redness, resulting from the rubbing of the bone with shoes, densening of the tissues and outgrowth in the area of the thumb.
On a note! If there is an inflammatory process in the joint, it is accompanied by a strong pain syndrome.
Treating cones on the big toeHaving carried out complex diagnostics and examined the lump on the leg near the thumb of the patient, the doctor prescribes treatment. Its effectiveness and duration of the course depends on how timely the patient turned to the hospital.
There are three types of bone treatment on the big toe:
- folk remedies;
On a note! Along with treatment, an important place is occupied by the right choice of shoes. Women should give up their heels and prefer shoes with an orthopedic insole.
Folk remediesTreatment of cones on the leg near the thumb with folk remedies is possible only if the cause is not a serious disease. Often this method of therapy is used in conjunction with the drug method.
When treating a bone on the big toe with folk remedies, the following recipes are used:
- Salt baths eliminate pain and inflammation when a cone appears near the thumb on the leg. It is necessary to collect hot water in a basin and pour a handful of sea salt, stir and lower your legs for 15 minutes. The course of treatment is two weeks, the procedure is performed daily before bedtime.
- In 100 g of ammonia add 6 crushed laurel leaves, insist for 2 weeks and rubbed into the bone 3 times a day for 10 days.
- To soften the propolis and fix it on the bump with polyethylene, wrap it in a warm kerchief and withstand the compress during the night. The procedure is carried out daily, the course of treatment is 1 week.
- Blue onion grate and use as a compress, applying the vegetable to the cone on the foot near the thumb, withstand 2 hours (therapeutic course - 20 procedures).
- Grate the raw potatoes, mix it with honey until a thick cream is obtained, apply the product to the bump for 2 hours, top it with polyethylene and a scarf (you need to perform from 20 procedures).
The patient will be able to choose a suitable recipe for himself.
MedicationWhen medicating the cones on the leg near the thumb, the following means are used:
- ointments, gels or creams with anti-inflammatory action (Voltaren, Diklak gel and others);
- antibiotics - if the inflammatory process develops and pus appears;
- Steroid hormones (Kenalog) - is used when puncturing the joint cavity, if there is an abundant accumulation of exudate.
On a note! Along with medicamental treatment, when a cone appears on the foot near the thumb, it is advisable to use physiotherapy (electrophoresis, paraffin therapy). This method is optional and can not act as the main one.
It should be noted that the treatment will not necessarily be directed only at removing the stone on the leg. If the reason for its growth is another disease, it is necessary, first of all, to treat it. Only having got rid of the basic illness, it is possible to eliminate its or his signs and consequences. When the cause of the growth of the cone on the leg near the thumb is covered in excess weight, the patient will be recommended to adhere to a diet that will help reduce the burden on the joints and, accordingly, stop the development of the foot defect.
The operation to remove the conesWhen drug therapy is ineffective, the doctor prescribes an operation to remove the cone on the leg near the thumb. Usually the indication for the appointment of a surgical treatment is the following:
- pain intensifies, becomes more prolonged, distracts from the habitual way of life;
- The big toe was strongly leaning to the side;
- gait has changed a lot.
On a note! Modern surgical techniques are diverse, but they have one goal. And it is to remove the bump on the big toe, restore the functionality of the foot, improve the quality of human life.
Osteotomy is a common method of surgical treatment. It consists in performing a Z-shaped bone cut, the function of which is to maintain the thumb on the leg.
PreventionEveryone knows the saying that it is easier to prevent the disease than to treat it. Therefore, preventive measures should be given time. To prevent the appearance of a bump on the leg near the thumb, you need to do the following:
- to refuse from close footwear with high heels (the optimum height of a heel - to 5 sm);
- adhere to proper nutrition;
- timely treatment of injuries of joints and bones, so that in the future they do not cause deformities of the foot.
Observing such simple rules, you can prevent the development of cones.